Saturday, September 6, 2008

Homemade Cleaning Solutions

I have been trying out homemade recipes for various cleaning solutions. I started doing this long ago before I believed all the hype about chemicals. Why? Because I'm thrifty. Not a cheapskate. Just thrifty. =) And now, I find myself cringing when my chemical loving husband uses chemicals so apparently the hype is sinking in. I am posting these to share with you and so I can find them when I lose them like I apparently just lost the "Fantastic" recipe that I really need this minute.

"spray-n-wash" = 1/2 cup ammonia, 1/2 cup Era liquid laundry detergent and 2 cups of water
(I haven't tried it yet because I somehow have 5 bottles of Shout but I will definitely try it some time)

Shampoo = 1T baking soda + 1c warm water (Many thanks to my friend for telling me this trick. I don't approve of the name of the 'movement' or even that it's being called a movement but if you want to search for more info, it's called No Pooing. It takes a couple days for the gross regular shampoo to get out of your hair but once it does, your hair stays so much softer and cleaner longer. Don't knock it until you try it.)

Conditioner = 1T apple cider vinegar + 1c water. Rinse with cold water at the end. Thanks to the same friend for this. You should only need the rinse every 2-3 washes so about once a week. If you hate the smell of vinegar, don't fret. It will dissipate soon. If your husband throws a hissy fit around vinegar like mine, do it the days he's gone. =)

Hair lightener = Camomile and Marigold

Laundry Soap = 2 parts Fels Naptha + 1 part washing soda + 1 part borax.
Grate the soap, grind in cuisenart, add soda and borax and grind again. Use 2T per load.
You can also use a liquid version but I haven't tried that yet. I'm not actually convinced this is as much cheaper than storebought like every one says but I'm not good at simple math so maybe I'm wrong.

AMAZING SITE WITH MORE RECIPES
Another site and another

No comments: