Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Do we NEED a schedule?

I debated on where to put this post since it applies to my kids and their school and not my crafty/cooking side but since this blog is primarily about my quirks, I figured this really was the best place.

My friend/mentor/idol posted her schedule here. When I first read it, I was immediately exhausted. I am a control freak who likes her entire world organized and in place but somehow that doesn't translate into all areas of my life. When I asked my husband to help me come up with a schedule, he was dubious. He said he didn't think a schedule would work for me because I like to be too flexible. That's true. It's one of the reasons I homeschool. But the beauty of making your own rules, is you know whom to ask if you need to break all the rules.

My friend reposted her schedule with explanations of how it worked here and I was intrigued. I told her it would never work for me because we are lazy. My 3 kids sleep late (really late). And since I stay up late (really late), I don't drag myself out of bed until they make me. Breakfast is my favorite meal and it takes a while to make so we are usually finishing breakfast about the time my friend FINISHES school.

My friend gave me golden advice on how to overcome my problems. She essentially said, "Get over it". Ok, she was a whole lot nicer than that but basically that's what she meant. So I did!
Here is the schedule I devised on Sunday night (come back tomorrow and I'll tell you how my first two days went):
Earlier than 8:00 - Me get up, get dressed, do all sorts of ME things like blog, read my scriptures, journal, scrapbook, organize, make breakfast. Whatever I can manage to do.
8:00 - Kids up, dressed, teeth, scriptures and clean the upstairs
8:30 - Breakfast and dishes
9:00 - Chores (ideally the house stays pretty clean and I can get in enough housecleaning during this half hour as well that I don't have to clean any other time, other than maintenance. I do think I need a couple more slaves, er, I mean kids to enable me to be as lazy as I'd like)
9:30 - School
11:30 - Free time (ideally all 4 of us outside)
12:30 - Lunch
1:00 - Quiet time (Me put baby to bed, boys in seperate rooms with books, me with a bowl of bonbons and my soaps*)
2:00 - Whatever happens (including 1-on-1 time with dad on designated days)

Football days:
4:30 - Dinner and dishes
5:30 - Leave for football
7:30 - Home, bath, prayer, song, pjs
8:00 - Story
8:30 - Lights out

Non Football days:
5:00 - Dinner and dishes
6:00 - Pjs, teeth, family devotional, cleanup
6:30 - FHE or games
7:00 - Stories
7:30 - Lights out

We also scheduled in first Friday of every month date night since we haven't been on a date in um, well, I think my last date was with a guy named Bob. And since we couldn't figure out how to squeeze in a temple visit for each of us every month we decided our dates would be at the temple. Anyone want to babysit my kids for 5 hrs on Friday?

*In case you don't know me well enough to know I'm kidding, this is how my husband THINKS I spend all day every day. My quiet time is ideally filled with sewing.

1 comment:

Carrie and Spencer said...

I'm all over it....just send them back to COLORADO!!! :-D