Sometimes I feel like I cheated and tonight is one of those nights ~ though I suppose we could have done worse. My husband suggested cold cereal but we are out. How pathetic is THAT? His first suggestion (well, yesterday) was Chicken Pot Pie but it was already 4:40 when I started so I didn't have time. That sounds odd to me but we are turning over a new leaf.
I have no scientific proof but I am quite certain putting on your pjs and going to bed immediately after dinner is not healthy for kids. I KNOW it isn't healthy for moms because Dad would always volunteer to get them into bed which left me with alone with the dishes.
So we vowed to get dinner on the table by 5pm. That means thinking about dinner shortly after finishing lunch which is entirely too much thought in the direction of food for my taste but it does feel nice to be done with dinner and dishes at 5:45pm and have an entire night to spend (dare I say it?) together as a family. How odd.
So, what dinner can one get on the table in 20 minutes? The envelope please. Tonight's dinner was
SALSA CHICKEN QUESADILLAS
This recipe was adapted from the Body For Life cookbook though I wouldn't suggest trying to lose weight on my version. Ask any of my friends, I am a strong believer in healthy eating, but that never includes minimizing calories. Cheese, butter, steak, heavy cream - bring it on. Just don't offer my kids candy or white flour please.
Shred one large chicken piece (Ok, so it can only be served in 20 minutes if you already made Velvet Chicken but this is an awesome thing to cook a large batch of at the beginning of the week and use with various recipes)
Throw in a pot with shredded cheddar (I don't know how much. I suppose most recipes would call for 1/2c which to me would mean three huge handfuls) and some seasonings (I had a fancy packet from Tastefully Simple but you could use chicken taco seasoning or something similar. Or nothing).
Heat until warm and the cheesy is melty.
Slather coconut oil (or butter) on two corn tortillas. Spread the stuff in between and fry it up on medium until the tortilla is lightly brown and delightfully crunchy. Repeat a billion times. Cut in quarters and serve with a dollop of sour cream (or not).
Non staple ingredients:
Salsa
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
yum, yum, yummy! Oh to be able to have dinner at 5pm! Count your blessings!
I'm tempted to do enchiladas...but the chicken defrosting is meant to be BBQ tonight. (I love to do tacos with fresh homemade corn tortillas. There isn't anything better.) Your pancakes are inspiring me though...maybe for dinner tomorrow!
Esra is quarantined until Dec 12th...(the runny nose has returned and her MRI is schedule for that day.) I'm calling you on Dec 13th to see when we can get together for a play date and maybe you can show me your quilts!
Ooo. I make my own tortillas but I haven't tried corn tortillas. You might have to teach me how to do that. I will put the 13th on my calendar. I can't wait! If you need anything from outside the quarantine in the meantime please let me know.
Post a Comment