Saturday, April 25, 2009

If you can't stick it to 'the man' stick it to the baby

As a 3 month old, most of Pretty Girl's church dresses were short sleeved so I decided to make her a long sleeved dress to get her through the winter. I selected a newborn pattern and cut it out, held it up to her 8lb frame, and decided it would be spring (and she would be 3) by the time it fit her. So I put it away and decided she'd survive with her current wardrobe. A year later, as a 15 month old, her dresses were still mainly short sleeved (partly because she was practically wearing half the same clothes) so I pulled out the big dress and decided to put it together. It has a healthy 6 foot hem but it fit.
It's a little more old fashioned than I was in the mood for this year (THIS dress fits my mood better) but the heart shaped pockets I added make me gush. I had a very hard time getting a picture of the back as my little angel dashed up and down the hallway. I have some terrific shots of an empty hallway. If you are a perfect mother or have any friends at DCF, please stop reading. Otherwise I'll tell you one of my husband's favorite stories. In the morning before church when I put the dress on her, she kept tugging at the sleeve trying to show me something. I thought maybe the wristband was too tight so I inspected it every time she showed me and assured her she was fine. She seemed content with that answer. All 6 times.
I was horribly sick and stayed home to drug up while my husband took the three kids to a baby blessing and luncheon an hour away. Halfway through the day she showed her dad her sleeve and he inspected it as well. Apparently slightly more carefully than I had because he found a pin. Yes, a pin. He claims it was embedded 3" into her arm but he has this thing about stepping on pins so I am pretty sure he was exaggerating. He added the pin to my wall of shame and we all survived (except me who is still tormented by my husband) but I am just amazed that this baby can have a pin in her arm for hours and not whine or complain - she just continued to patiently point it out until she found someone smart enough to notice. Does Bad mommy get any points for having such a good baby?

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Mutti said...

The dress is adorable! ...especially with those cute socks! You cannot trust a man who is the only one in the house who finds pins by stepping on them. I know! No blood? She is just a future seamstress.

Carrie and Spencer said...

You have 3 amazing children!!! I miss you all!!!!! See you in July!!

Jenn G. said...

Cute dress! Stephanie had a 3" pin in her calf for 3 months and we kept telling her it was growing pains....so you don't win that bad mommy prize!(Well, okay maybe you do, the pin incident was due to the in-laws babysitting. She was 10 yrs. old.) :-)

Charlotte said...

Wow, she really is good tempered, isn't she. Matthew was giving her loves the other night and she was giving him the "if you insist" look.