Thursday, August 13, 2009

Split 9 Patch Tutorial - of sorts

One of my goals for this year is to widdle my UFPs down to one basket. I found a tiny pile of Americana prints from a charm quilt swap gone wrong that was hogging at least 1/2" of space in my baskets. To further my goal, I decided to replace that teeny pile with a quilt that will take up a foot of space in my overstuffed blanket cupboards...and no, I have no intention of widdling those to a single cupboard.I was intrigued by pictures of a split or chopped 9 patch quilt. Depending on color selection and placement you can achieve a cool sense of "how in the world did she do that?" Feel free to search the web for a plethora of pictures (I am late to this bandwagon) and detailed tutorials. Of follow my "tutorial" below.

  1. Make a whole bunch 9 patch squares.
  2. Admire the fact that if you were doing a regular 9 patch you would be almost finished.
  3. Cut the sewn squares in quarters.
  4. Have a few moments of regret while you realize you just put yourself back at square one.
  5. Sew the squares back together.
  6. Quilt.
  7. Bind.
Viola! Wasn't that simple?
If you find step 7 a little too ambiguous you might want to do a search for the various placement options. You have some cool choices.
Stay tuned for the finished quilt. I discovered some more squares that should have been in my UFP baskets instead of my scrap baskets so I created quite a twist on the design. I am at the point of sewing my rows together so hopefully I'll be sharing a finished quilt top soon.

No comments: