Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What's so bad about govt pushed artificial junk in my food?

My mom sent me this article this morning just to get a rise out of me. She titled her email "What if we were wrong about High Fructose Corn Syrup". So I decided to post it (and my soapbox response to it of course) on my blog.

My complaints with HFCS:
1 - It is more processed than table sugar. Maybe not a LOT more but some and I am trying to get toward things that are LESS processed than table sugar.
2 - It is in EVERYTHING. Even the commercial made by the corn growers that tried to say people are stupid if they think HFCS is bad says (quickly and slurred) "it's fine in moderation". But we don't consume it in moderation. Americans consume it in almost every thing they eat.
3 - Politically I am opposed to HFCS. The govt subsidizes it and I don't believe they have any business in that arena. The way their corn program works has weeded out the small farmers - the corn producers are primarily huge producers now. The govt has created corn giants and left a lot of farmers unemployed by creating a false market for something we really didn't need in our diets.

So no, I have not been wrong about HFCS. My opinions still stand.

1 comment:

Lara said...

I've seen what they do to make it and just thinking about it makes me cringe. Of course if I had to watch bees making the honey I eat I would probably cringe a lot more. Still...